The List: Eight shopping destinations for pet lovers
Pet-loving shopaholics needn’t travel far for the latest in canine couture or cat accessories.
The Redwood Empire is home to everything for our beloved pets, from classic squeak toys and faux-fur mice to bedazzled collars and pricy T-shirts, sweaters and fashion accessories designed for our four-legged friends.
The following is just a small sampling of shopping destinations for animal lovers; some places even welcome well-mannered pets:
1. Fideaux, founded in 1996, was among the earliest dog boutiques in the area. Now with two locations, Fideaux offers a wide range of pet products, Swarovski crystal collars among them.
43 North St., Healdsburg, 433-9935
1312 Main St., St. Helena, 967-9935
2. Friendly Feed & Supply offers old-fashioned and – as the name implies – friendly service for those with farm animals as well as companion pets. From hay bales to bunny feed, this is one-stop shopping for animal lovers.
1000 River Road, Fulton, 546-2156
3. Healdsburg Dog House is another fun pet boutique with toys, treats and travel accessories for man’s best friend (and even cats, too).
212 Healdsburg Ave., Healdsburg, 431-1044
4. Paws to Shop is located at the Sonoma Humane Society Adoption Center, with all proceeds benefitting the shelter animals and the society’s life-saving programs. Adopt a pet and stop by Paws to Shop for all the basic necessities – and more.
5345 Hwy. 12 W., Santa Rosa, 542-0882, ext. 238
5. Pick of the Litter carries items like pet beds and collars; serves as a cat adoption center; and primarily sells thrift items and new cat-related merchandise all benefitting Forgotten Felines of Sonoma County. A second location just added this summer. Proceeds go toward spay and neuter clinics, adoptions, medication treatment and support of feral cats.
1701-A Piner Road, Santa Rosa, 570-2590
143 Petaluma Blvd. N., Petaluma, 283-0567
6. Puny Paws Dog Boutique carries a wide array of pet treats and accessories and also offers pet photography. Puny Paws celebrates dogs of all sizes.
927 Golf Course Drive, Rohnert Park, 293-9629
7. Rivertown Feed and Pet Country Store is a classic feed store that also carries contemporary items for dogs and cats. Dog treats range from biscuits of every size to pig ears and deer antler chews.
200 First St. (old Bar Ale building), Petaluma, 762-4505
8. Three Dog Bakery offers fanciful dog treats displayed on paper doilies and in old-time glass jars. There are “pupcakes” duplicating cupcakes and snacks decorated like baseballs, among many other selections. Boutique pet items as well.
526 Broadway, Sonoma, 933-9780
– Dianne Reber Hart